Total COVID-19 Confirmed Case Count At 140
Merced total nearing total in Los Banos, 57 active cases, three people have died
COVID-19 DAILY STATUS REPORT
(Afternoon Update by the Merced County Health Dept.)
• As of 4 p.m. Saturday, May 2, 2020, there are 140 confirmed cases (57 active) of COVID-19
(novel coronavirus) in Merced County. Of that number, 80 have recovered and three have died.
- *Total confirmed cases include total recovered and total deaths.
- **Recovered defined as symptom free with no medication for 72 hours.
- ***Healthcare exposure includes exposure in and out of jurisdiction.
- East Merced County includes: Atwater, Ballico, Bear Creek, Calpack, Cressey, Delhi, El Nido, Hilmar, Irwin, Le Grand, Livingston, Merced, Planada, Snelling, Stevinson, Tuttle, and Winton
- West Merced County includes: Dos Palos, Gustine, Los Banos, Santa Nella, and Volta
• Community-Specific Reporting: Due to privacy laws, Merced County had not released a community-specific breakdown of positive cases until Monday, April 13. Due to a relatively low number of positive cases and the size of some of our cities and unincorporated communities, previously releasing those numbers could have been an identifying factor and a breach of patient confidentiality. Furthermore, releasing that type of data could have also created a false sense of security in communities without confirmed cases, leading to greater spread of COVID-19. However, similar to other neighboring counties, Merced County has now reached a high enough case total that patient confidentiality is no longer considered a major risk for communities that have five or more cases. For that reason, we are now releasing community-specific numbers for those that have five or more cases:
In California, there are 52,152 confirmed cases and 2,131 deaths.
COVID-19 Testing Available to All Merced County Residents: Thanks to a partnership with the State and OptumServe (a private health services company contracted by the State), a new testing site will open at the Merced County Fairgrounds at 900 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way in Merced on Monday, May 4. The new testing site will allow for more than 100 additional tests a day. The site will be available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Due to expected high demand, testing availability was changed to BY APPOINTMENT ONLY in order to prevent unnecessarily-long wait times for clients. Walk-ins will not be accepted at this time.
Register at: www.lhi.care/covidtesting
or by calling: 1-888-634-1123.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an evolving situation. More information will be distributed as it becomes available. For the most up to date information, please visit: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus. Additional information is available at www.countyofmerced.com/coronavirus.