A week full of local events to honor our military veterans
All Gave Some…Some Gave All
Veterans Day observances and celebrations began in Merced on Nov. 9 with the opening of the seventh annual Merced Sunrise Rotary Field of Honor, presented by Joseph Gallo Farms, the Peter Gallo Memorial Foundation and Merced College.
More than a thousand flags dedicated by local individuals, families and groups for their military heroes will adorn the front lawn of Merced College, at the corner of Yosemite and M street.
Opening Ceremonies were held at the Merced College Theater a 2 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 10, and Closing Ceremonies will be held Saturday, Nov. 16, at 2 p,m. on the field, weather permitting.
The Field of Honor is open for viewing 24 hours per day during this week-long remembrance.
Other big events include:
- Veterans Day celebration in Merced on Main Street, Monday, Nov. 11, starting at 1 p.m. with a ceremony inside Bob Hart Square at Main and Canal streets. The annual Veterans Day Parade will start at 2 p.m. A fly-over is also planned.
- Veterans Day at the Park, sponsored by VFW Post 9946 & Auxiliary, on Nov. 11, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., at Veterans Park in Atwater. Formal ceremony starts at 3 p.m. Free food and entertainment.
- First Responders Night at the Field of Honor on Tuesday, Nov. 12, 5:30 p.m., with a presentation by Next Rung, website: nextrung.org
- Flag Retirement Ceremony at the Field of Honor on Wednesday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m. Drop off your old flag for retirement at the field, daily noon – 5:30 p.m.
- Military Night at the Field of Honor will be held on Thursday, Nov. 14, 5:30 p.m., with a presentation from Luis Rivera, U.S. Navy SEAL Senior Chief (Ret.) from Mighty Oaks. Website: mightyoaksprograms.org
- Castle Air Force Base Reunion, Friday, Nov. 15, 5:30 p.m.
Fly a flag
Did you take your Field of Honor flag home last year? Want to fly it again this year? You can bring your flag to be re-flown on the field at Merced College beginning Saturday, Nov. 10 at noon. Cost: $10 per flag.
Want to purchase a new flag? You can come to the field starting Saturday, Nov. 9, at noon, and purchase a new flag. Cost: $35 per flag.
Free rides, entrance to Yosemite Park!
Yosemite National Park will offer free admission to the public in honor of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 11. This fee free day is offered to all park visitors in honor of current members, retired members, and reserve members of the United States Armed Forces and their families.
Fees being waived for Veterans Day only include the fees associated with entrance into the park. All other fees associated with camping, lodging, or activities within the park still apply. The fee waiver is only valid for Monday, Nov. 11.
The Yosemite Area Regional Transit System (YARTS) will be honoring veterans and their families by offering free rides to Yosemite Valley on Sunday, Nov. 10 and Monday, Nov. 11. For route schedules and more information, please visit yarts.com.