UC Merced unveils new Mobile Makers Space at fair
The Merced County Fair and the University of California, Merced have unveiled the university’s innovative mobile STEM-based hub, Mobile Makers Space, at the 2019 Merced County Fair as part of the Fair’s Discovering Science Exhibit.
The new Mobile Makers Space utilizes science, technology, engineering and math-driven hands-on activities and workshops geared toward students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Set to formally launch in early 2020, the Mobile Makers Space will be present at county fairs, schools and community events.
“We are very excited to debut the Mobile Makers Space at the Merced County Fair this year as it provides a great way to showcase how fun STEM activities can be,” said Chris Butler, assistant director of UC Merced’s Foster Family Center for Engineering Service Learning. “This mobile exhibit will allow UC Merced students, faculty and staff to get out into the community and interact with our youth to bring more awareness to how science, technology, engineering and math are used through these fun, hands-on activities.”
Some of the featured Mobile Makers Space activities featured at the 2019 Merced County Fair are:
• Scribble Bots — Harnessing the power of angular motion, users create motorized robots that create works of art.
• Paper Circuits — Build an electrical circuit out of paper to light up the world. Paper circuits allow users to create electrical circuits using paper and household materials.
• Augmented Reality | Utilizing the emerging technology of augmented reality, users will be able to view molecules that make up materials.
• Drone Cage | Users will get the chance to fly drones through obstacles and experience the increasingly popular field of drone flight.
• Recycling Games | UC Merced is committed to being green from the ground up. Players interact to help recycle different kinds of materials helping to keep our campus green. “We could not be more grateful for UC Merced’s partnership on the Discovering Science exhibit and for choosing the Fair to debut their new Mobile Makers Space,” said Teresa Burrola, CEO, Merced County Fair. “The incredible activities they are bringing to our Fairgoers, and in turn our community, will really excite the minds of our youth and provide hours of entertainment at the Fair – and it’s all for free!” The Discovering Science exhibit is located in the San Joaquin Hall at the Merced County Fair, which runs June 5 – 9. Along with the Mobile Makers Space, the Discovering Science exhibit will feature the Kids Discover Station that is geared towards the younger fairgoers. For more information about the Discovering Science exhibit go to www.mercedcountyfair.com/discovering-science-exhibit.
Follow UC Merced on social media @ucmerced or visit www.ucmerced.edu for updates on progress of the Mobile Maker Space and for details on how you can book it for your school or event.