Madera County has hundreds of mouthwatering restaurants. Among them are steakhouses, the award-winning South Gate Brewing Co., Italian, Mexican, pizza and vegan.
But it takes something special to make a restaurant stand out.
Erna’s Elderberry House, in Château du Sureau, the only five-star, five-diamond restaurant to the neighboring Yosemite National Park, does just that.
Erna’s Elderberry House offers afternoon high tea, cooking classes, a farmer’s harvest dinner, a casual evening enjoyed at the Cellar Bar with Chef Rob and his culinary team’s delicious food and specialty drink creations.
AAA Five Diamond Award is the highest level of the AAA Diamond Ratings System for restaurants and lodgings administered by AAA. Each year AAA reviews nearly 28,000 hotels including resorts, historic inns, B&Bs and more. Just 0.4 percent make the AAA Five Diamond list. A rating of one to five diamonds is assigned, based on lodging and restaurant published guidelines for facilities, amenities, and service.
“It is such a treat to have Erna’s Elderberry House and Château du Sureau in Oakhurst, Madera County at the south gate entrance to Yosemite National Park, offering an array of events and offerings for visitors and locals,”
says Therese Williams, media director for Visit Yosemite | Madera County. “It really is a fairytale property and experience to be tried and returned to.”
The list of events and offerings include:
• Afternoon High Tea – 11 a.m. to 1p.m., Sunday, Sept. 1 and Sept. 15, $68 per person, plus taxes and gratuities.
• Half-Day Cooking Classes – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 7 – Charcuterie Plates – perfect for party hosting! Saturday, Sept. 28 – Preservation for the Season – perfect way to save the summer! $325 per person includes hands-on cooking lessons, recipe book, served lunch and taxes.
• Annual Farmer’s Harvest Dinner – 2 p.m. Farmer’s Market & Dinner at 6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29. Join for a fun-filled afternoon in the Garden Terrace filled with local farmers. Followed by a hands-on cooking demonstration with Executive Chef Rob Snyder. After an afternoon of fun, enjoy a five-course prix-fixe menu prepared by Chef Rob and his Culinary Team. This Sunday is sure to bring the meaning of locally sourced “farm to table” cuisine. $175 – includes ticket to the Farmer’s Market & Demonstration and Dinner, tax and gratuities are additional.
• Locals’ Night – every Tuesday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. A special three-course menu, $52 per person, tax and gratuity additional. Soup or salad, entree; choice between two protein offerings, and dessert.
• Cellar Bar – open nightly from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
• Come casual, come enjoy! No reservations are necessary. Chef Rob and his culinary team have created a special bar bites menu that is perfect accompanied by a drink from the specialty cocktail menu.
• Spa Du Sureau – open daily – reservations recommended
• Spa Sureau is an oasis of tranquility with contemporary treatments and traditional European service. Our warm and inviting state-of-the-art facility allows you to truly relax and renew – leaving your cares behind. Monday through Thursday with 15 percent off individual treatments for all locals.
• For more, go online to: chateausureau.com.