Over the past 18 months, the three Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs) in the Merced Subbasin have worked together to develop a Draft Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP) that is now available for public review and comment. The three GSAs are as follows:
- Merced Subbasin Groundwater Sustainability Agency (MSGSA)
- Merced Irrigation-Urban Groundwater Sustainability Agency (MIUGSA)
- Turner Island Groundwater Sustainability Agency (TIWDGSA-1)
The Draft GSP is available for public review and comment for a 30-day public comment period, from July 19 through Aug. 19.
Where to Review the Draft GSP The full document will be available as follows: • Online at: mercedsgma.org • Hardcopies are available at the following public locations: Merced Public Library, 2100 O St, Merced, CA 95340; Le Grand Branch Library, 12949 Le Grand Rd, Le Grand, CA 95333; Atwater Branch Library, 1600 Third St, Atwater, CA 95301; Winton Branch Library, 7057 Walnut Ave, Winton, CA 95388; Livingston Public Library, , 1212 Main St, Livingston, CA 95334; Planada Community Services District, 103 Live Oak St, Planada, CA 95365; MSGSA – County of Merced, Community and Economic Development, Front Counter, 2222 M Street, Merced, CA 95341, MIUGSA – Merced Irrigation District, 744 W. 20th Street, Merced, CA 95340, TIWDGSA-1 – 1269 West I Street, Los Banos, CA 93635.
Ways to Submit Public Comments by Aug. 19 Comments on the Draft GSP can be submitted by mail or email to: Email: [email protected] U.S. Mail: Hicham Eltal, Merced GSP Contact, Merced Irrigation District, 744 W 20th St., Merced, CA 95340
- Notice of Intent to Adopt GSP: The three GSAs will provide notice to the cities and counties within the geographic area covered by the Merced Subbasin GSP of each GSA’s intent to adopt the GSP no earlier than 90-days from the notice.
- Joint Meeting of 3 GSA Boards: After the close of the 30-day public comment period on August 19, 2019, the comments will be reviewed by the GSAs. The public comments received will be discussed at a joint public meeting of the GSAs in September (meeting time and location to be posted at www.mercedsgma.org once finalized).
- Adoption Hearings to be Held in Fall 2019: In accordance with California Water Code Section 10728.4, consideration to adopt the jointly developed Merced Subbasin GSP will occur as part of public hearings to be held by the three GSAs. Meeting times and locations will be posted at www.mercedsgma.org when finalized. Once adopted, the Merced Subbasin GSP will govern sustainable groundwater management actions within each GSA’s jurisdictional boundaries located in the Merced Subbasin.
Submittal to DWR
The three GSAs will jointly submit the final GSP to the California Department of Water Resources (DWR) for review and approval by the Jan. 31, 2020 regulatory deadline.