The effort to start an irrigation district in eastern Merced County began as early as 1913, but it took several years for the organization to begin to take shape.
In 1917, the newly formed Merced County Farm Bureau launched an irrigation district exploratory committee. By 1919, Merced Irrigation District was established with C. M. Cross (seen in photo) as the first president and W. D. Wagner as the first paid secretary and manager.
MID was housed in the Shaffer Building when it was organized in 1919. MID later constructed its own building (seen in photo) at 2423 Canal Street.
The Times is publishing historical photos and information about the development of irrigation systems, and the growth of the Merced Irrigation District. The district and the Merced County Historical Society are planning a community celebration and exhibit in recognition of MID’s 100-year Anniversary on Nov. 7. The date coincides with the formation of the District: MID was established in November 1919. More information can be found online at: MIDisThere.com or mercedmuseum.org.
Also, if you have a story, a photo or an artifact related to the history of Merced Irrigation District, the organizers of the exhibit want to know about it. Contact Museum Director Sarah Lim at (209) 723-2401 or by email at: [email protected]